District #7 - North Hollow School
The North Hollow District was the area just south of the Hartland line and north of the Center School District. One of the earliest of Barkhamsted’s schools was built here just below the Hartland line in the 1790s, but like many of the old schools, it burned down. Because the East Branch of the Farmington River ran through the center of the district, there was much strife over whether a new school should be on the east or west side of the river. For a period of time two schools were maintained, the one on the west side in the home of Jarvis Frazier; the one on the east side in “the old Munson house.” In 1840 the community agreed to build a school on the east side of the river. The North Hollow School remained in use until the mid-1920s at which time the students were transferred to Center School. The building was removed in 1932 as part of the reservoir project.
Class Photos & Schoolhouse Memories Archive
North Hollow School, 1902
BHS owns two original copies of this image. Notes on the backs of both say this photo was taken on November 25, 1902, and that the teacher is Clara Case. Clara was the teacher at North Hollow for the winter term of 1900-1901. The building appears to be the North Hollow School based on the presence of the stone step outside the door which is shown in other pictures.
Digital Image: MD-13.
North Hollow School, 1920
This is the North Hollow School, circa 1920. A note suggests that the picture is from the early 20s and that the teacher is Flora Teeter. Flora Teeter was the teacher at North Hollow in 1920-1922.
Digital Image: MD-50.